Welcome to SCTCC and our Discovery Academy program. In this section of our website, you will find general student-focused information on the Discovery Academy program. For additional information or more specifics regarding offerings at your high school, please contact your high school guidance counselor.
Discovery Academy offers a unique opportunity for students to:
- Earn college credit while still in high school
- Save money on tuition when starting college
- Learn about skills used in industry and career fields through tours, job shadowing, and internships (where available)
- Take courses that are not normally offered in the high school setting
- Build and learn college-level skills
- Earn college credits in career majors that may align with a university pathway; in other words, the credits could transfer to a 4-year program of study
It is very important to note that Discovery Academy courses at your high school are real, actual college courses that result in an actual SCTCC transcript. It is vital that you take these courses seriously as your success in them may affect your post-secondary education, as well as, financial aid, in the future.
In order to participate in Discovery Academy, students must meet certain eligibility requirements. Students must meet the requirements outlined in the MN statute and the Minnesota State Board Policy and Procedure. SCTCC may require Discovery Academy students to take the Accuplacer test, which is SCTCC’s placement test, if the course they are taking requires it. A student may forgo the placement testing with qualifying MCA/ACT/SAT scores.
Discovery Academy eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Must be enrolled as a high school sophomore (10th grade), junior (11th grade), or senior (12th grade)
- Taken the appropriate Accuplacer test(s)
- A minimum of a 2.5 grade point average OR a written recommendation from a high school counselor or teacher regarding interest, determination, and compatibility with this type of coursework and including the following information:
- Cumulative GPA
- Completed GRAD assessment OR completed PLAN with scores at or above 13
- For sophomore (10th grade) students who register for a CTE course, students must pass the 8th grade MCA to be eligible
- Completion of appropriate introductory high school courses or required pre-requisite coursework