SCTCC’s Sonography program welcomes 12 students every fall semester. Admission to Sonography is a selective process and there is no wait list for this program. Completing the prerequisite courses does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
Open application period: The Sonography program open application period is December 1st through January 15th the following year or later if the program is not filled.
Step One: Apply for Admission to SCTCC
Gain acceptance to the college in the “AS/Pre-Sonography” major
- Apply online
- Pay $20 application fee
- Submit high school transcript
- Required if graduated high school 5 or fewer years ago
- If the language of record is not English, a certified translation must be included with the official transcript
- Submit official college transcript from ALL colleges previously attended
- If the language or record is not English, a certified course-by-course evaluation that includes GPA and course levels must be provided
- Submit Accuplacer, ACT, SAT, or MCA test scores
- Or schedule a time to take the Accuplacer exam at SCTCC or a location near you
Step Two: Prepare to Apply to the Sonography program
- You may only apply to the program after completing all of the required prerequisites.
- The prerequisite GPA must be a 3.0 or above and a GPA of 2.0 must be maintained in the general education coursework to be considered for the program.
- Grades of "D" or "F" are considered unsatisfactory in the prerequisite courses and required general education courses.
- Applicants are only allowed to retake one prerequisite course one time and one required general education course one time.
- Applicants must have completed the CPR/AED at the Healthcare Provider certification level course.
- Students are encouraged to volunteer as a patient. The sign-up sheet is available when volunteers are needed. Visit the main desk of the Health Sciences Building to register to get scanned at the Sonography Lab - Health Sciences Building, Room 1-109.Volunteers are encouraged to ask students about the program.
Step Three: Apply for Admission to the Sonography Program
- Submit the Sonography Program application and supporting documents (such as Nursing Assistant certificate, CPR Card) during the program open application period. Supporting documents should be mailed following the instructions provided on the Apply Online link (available during the program open application period.)
- Qualified applicants will be invited to take the HESI exam at SCTCC. Students who have completed all program requirements and scored a minimum required GPA of 3.0 will be eligible. Directions are included in the invitation sent via email and mailed letter.
- Applicants will be ranked using the Sonography Program Point System.
- Non-accepted applicants are encouraged to reapply during the next program application period after reviewing ways to gain more points on the Point System.