Degrees and Certificates
Why Choose This Program
Dental assistants are important members of the dental healthcare team, and a degree from SCTCC will prepare graduates with the skills needed.
Students will learn chairside assisting, infection control procedures, prepping instruments and materials, laboratory procedures, administrative duties, mechanical polishing, and sealant application.
Graduates of the program find work in dentists' offices, as well as work as a dental office manager, in public and private practices, in dental product sales, or as OSHA compliance officer.
Apply for FREE in October during Free App Month!
- Prepare instruments, materials and treatment rooms
- Utilize infection control measures
- Anticipate sequence of dental procedures
- Utilize innovative technology as it relates to the dental profession
- Take radiographs and perform expanded duties such as fabricating temporary crowns and applying sealants
Types of Careers
- Chairside dental assistant
- Dental office manager
- Dental assisting instructor
- Dental product sales representative
- OSHA compliance officer
- Private dental practice
- Group dental practice or clinics
- Specialty offices such as Orthodontics and Oral Surgery
- Dental Public Health facilities
Projected Job Growth
Employment of dental assistants is projected to grow 25 percent from 2012 to 2022, much faster than the average for all occupations.
Where Grads Work
- Aspen Dental
- Oral Facial Surgery, P.A.
- Central MN Endodontics
- Avon Dental
- Park Dental
- Dental Care Associates
- Koala Dental
- Central Lakes Oral & Facial Surgery
Accreditations & Credentials
The St. Cloud Technical & Community College dental assistant program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association. Graduates will be eligible to write the Dental Assisting National Board Certification examination as well as the Minnesota licensure examination. Statistically over the past several years, SCTCC dental assistant students have scored above the national and state average on both of these exams. Students earn the credentials CDA (Certified Dental Assistant) and LDA (Licensed dental Assistant) after successful completion of these exams.
To learn more about the Dental Assistant program, sign up for an Information Session. These sessions provide an opportunity to:
- Talk face-to-face with program faculty.
- Tour state-of-the-art labs, where hands on learning comes to life.
- Get your questions answered.
Current Pre-Dental Hygiene Students at SCTCC:
Academic Advising Center
Office: Northway Building, 1-312
Clubs & Organizations
Dental assisting students are invited to participate in (SADAA) Student American Dental Assistants Association and the Minnesota Dental Assistants Association. SADAA is an organization created to help students develop leadership skills and self-confidence. Continued membership provides the graduate with professional contacts, opportunities for learning through continuing education and a chance to participate in local and national governance of profession organizations.