Degrees and Certificates
Why Choose This Program
A degree in Electrical Construction Technology is a step toward being successful in the electrical industry.
Students begin with basic principles of electrical work and train in AC and DC motor and generator theory, transformers, lighting, three-phase systems, motor control, solid state, variable frequency drives, and programmable logic controls. Students then apply their knowledge to actual projects in the shop or mock-ups.
The electrical program at SCTCC prepares students to become Journeymen/women. Graduates are placed in well-paying jobs all over Central Minnesota, the state, and throughout the Midwest.
- Basic & safe use of tools by starting simple, and then
- Apply the NEC (National Electrica Code) to build life-like models of how electrical wiring is installed in homes, businesses and industry.
- Wire and maintain electrical systems in residential, commercial, and industrial settings
- Read and interpret schematics, manuals, and blueprints
- Complete basic computer functions
- Select materials that are environmentally friendly and practice proper disposal of hazardous materials
- Maintain OSHA standards
- Demonstrate awareness of tool use and safety
- Perform basic Algebra and Trigonometry functions
- Understand and follow the National Electric Code
Most of our students choose a career path the leads them to become journeymen & women electricians. It is where the money is made. Once they accomplish this goal, our students become leaders of our industry as salespersons, instructors, inspectors, estimators & designers.
Many of our students have goals of owning their own business, and the Electrical Construction Technology degree is a great way to reach that goal. Once students have the knowledge base provided from our curriculum, they gain experience as apprentice electricians, then become Master electricians, which leads to entrepreneurship of owning a business.
- Electrical Contractors
- Manufacturing facilities
- Tech Companies
- Commercial businesses
- Fire alarm companies
In addition to tuition and fees, students can expect to pay $2015-2375 for books, supplies, and materials.