Degrees and Certificates
Why Choose This Program
The Medium/Heavy Truck program at SCTCC prepares grads for maintenance, repair, and diagnostics on medium/heavy duty trucks and trailers. The growing demand to transport products quickly and safely means an increase in the need for skilled technicians.
Students will learn skills in truck computers, diesel engines, electrical systems, suspension, air-brakes, power train, and emissions. There are also opportunities to learn welding, CNG & alternative fuel systems, and Department of Transportation Vehicle Inspector Certification.
- Demonstrate entry level skills and technical competency to become a Medium/Heavy Truck Technician
- Demonstrate knowledge of hazardous materials in the workplace and the impact they have on human health and global environment
- Demonstrate proper use of lab facility and maintenance of repair and diagnostic equipment
- Interpret and utilize manufacturer's data to analyze problems and to make repair decisions
After graduating, medium/heavy truck technicians will want to consider specializing in one phase of the field, such as:
- Component rebuilding
- Transport refrigeration
- Preventative maintenance
Grads with an AAS degree will have opportunities as:
- Medium/Heavy truck technicians
- Shop supervisors
- Dealer and factory representatives
Accreditations & Credentials
The Medium/Heavy Truck program is certified by the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation, Inc. (NATEF), 101 Blue Seal Drive, Suite 101, Leesburg, VA 20175, (703) 669-6650, www.natef.org .
The Medium Heavy Truck Technician Program is ASE Certified and graduates are prepared for the Automotive Service Excellence examinations.
Phone: (320) 308-5411
Fax: (320) 308-5981
In addition to tuition and fees, students can expect to pay $4926-$5186 for books, supplies, and materials.
Clubs & Organizations
SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers and industry working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce. SkillsUSA helps each student excel and provides educational programs, events and competitions that support career and technical education (CTE) in the nation’s classrooms.