Degrees and Certificates
Why Choose This Program
The St. Cloud Technical and Community College (SCTCC) Practical Nursing program is approved by the Minnesota Board of Nursing.
The Practical Nursing Program provides learning opportunities in various settings where students work closely with physicians, registered nurses and other health care professionals in the delivery of delegated medical care and skills. In addition, assistance is provided to individuals to meet their basic human needs.
The program stresses meeting basic needs within the framework of normal growth and development throughout the life span. Learning experiences are developed utilizing the nursing process as a framework for training the practical nursing student. Emphasis is placed on safe practice and the role of the Licensed Practical Nurse. Past experience, the study of sciences, and personal initiative are all considered important for success in this program.
With both full-time and part-time enrollment options, the Practical Nursing Program provides a foundation for career mobility with associate or baccalaureate professional nursing programs.
Apply for FREE in October during Free App Month!
The SCTCC Practical Nursing program has been named the third-best PN program in the state of Minnesota in 2018 by practicalnursing.org.
Colleges were ranked based on the NCLEX-PN pass rates in the past five years. The NCLEX, or National Council Licensure Examination, is the exam practical nursing students take to become a licensed practical nurse.
- Demonstrate therapeutic communication skills to practice nursing care that is patient and family centered, culturally sensitive and based on the physiological, psychosocial and spiritual needs of patients across the lifespan.
- Provide rationale for judgments used in the provision of safe, quality care and for decisions that promote the health of patients.
- Minimize risk of harm to patients and providers through both system effectiveness and individual performance.
- Use information and technology to communicate, manage knowledge, mitigate error, and support decision making.
- Demonstrate professional behaviors of accountability according to legal and ethical nursing practice standards.
- Function effectively within nursing and inter-professional teams, fostering open communication, mutual respect, and shared decision-making to achieve quality patient care.
- Support quality improvement by contributing to the implementation of care and the utilization of resources to improve health care services.
- Integrate best current evidence with clinical expertise and patient/family preferences and values for delivery of optimal health care.
Types of Careers
- Long Term Care: Gerontology
- Acute Care
- Psychiatric Mental Health
- Primary and Preventative Care
- End-of-Life Care
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Assisted Living
- Home Care Agencies
- Acute Care/Hospitals
- Veterans Health Care System
- Community Behavioral Health Hospitals
- Correctional Facilities
- Industrial/Occupational Health
Projected Job Growth
According to MN DEED, the projected growth rate between 2012 and 2022, for License Practical Nurses in Minnesota, is 18.6%.
Accreditations & Credentials
The Practical Nursing Program is accredited by:
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, GA 30326
2017 Job Placement Rate: 98%
To learn more about the Practical Nursing program, sign up for an Information Session. These sessions provide an opportunity to:
- Talk face-to-face with program faculty.
- Tour state-of-the-art labs, where hands on learning comes to life.
- Get your questions answered.
Admitted Pre-Practical Nursing Students at SCTCC
Current students who are Pre-Practical Nursing can contact the Academic Advising Center.
Office: Northway Building, 1-312
Clubs & Organizations