Degrees and Certificates
Why Choose This Program
If you enjoy math, banking and/or money management, then a degree in finance will help lead in the right direction for a career in finance and credit. This degree will help prepare you for a variety of career options in the Finance industry, including employment in lending, banking, accounting, collections, communications, management, and more.
Students in this program will study banking, consumer lending, risk management, accounting, business law and personal money management. Since the Finance program is a completely online you will be able to attain and fit this degree in any busy life style.
The Finance degree is offered 100% Online. More info
- Communication Skills. You must be able to communicate your knowledge with strong speaking, writing, and presentation skills.
- Relationship-Management Skills. You will need people skills in order to succeed as a financial professional include understanding different personality types, listening, asking the right questions, resolving conflicts, educating others, and counseling clients.
- Marketing and Sales Skills. All financial professionals need to market your professional skills and knowledge to prospects in your markets, so you will have to "sell" both your personal strengths and your firm's professional strengths.
- Project Management Ability, Organizational Skills and Attention to Detail. You will need to manage your own schedule in terms of your time, budgets, and deadlines, as well as those of others.
- Problem-Solving Skills. You will always encounter problems in any job, so you will need to be able to solve problems effectivity.
- Commercial banks
- Credit unions
- Finance companies
- Collection agencies
- Medical facilities
- Mortgage companies
- Property management associations
Graduates have also found rewarding careers in the credit and business departments of retail, wholesale, and other service organizations.
In the banking industry, the range of careers is enormous and includes:
- High level advisory work
- Managing processes
- Customer services
- Human resources
- Foreign currency management (known as treasury)
- Investment management
- Trade finance
- Financial control
- Internal auditing
- Regulatory compliance
- Transaction supervisory roles
- Prevention of money laundering
- Funding of terrorism officers
In insurance, the types of careers may include manager and legal advisor work in:
- Loss adjusting
- Claims management
- Customer service
- Compliance and risk management
- Financial reporting
- Client advisory
Banks are a primary focus of the finance industry where you can venture into retail banking – families and individuals -and/or corporate banking, that meets the needs of business, governments and the public sectors. Insurance companies are another source of careers for finance and credit majors. Insurance can be classified into two main categories – general business of insurance and long-term business of insurance. Underwriting is a specialization that involves detailed analysis of the different aspects of proposals submitted by customers to insurance companies. Compliance is the process of ensuring that the insurance company is doing business according to standards established by law.
Investment and financial advisor companies present many opportunities of the finance and credit graduates. The jobs of the investment services industry use special skills, knowledge and expertise to invest money on behalf of their clients or to advise clients on how to best use their money. Job as a financial advisor refers to the instructions given to private citizens on how to best manage their financial affairs. Some financial advisers work in banks while others work in independent specialist firms. They advise all types of customers, from people with modest amounts to invest to the very wealthy.
Where Grads Work
- Capital One
- Stearns Bank
- Central MN Credit Union
- Prime America
- Northern Factory Sales, Inc.
In addition to tuition and fees, students can expect to pay about $2000 for books, supplies, and materials.